Children’s Hospital Boston (A) Case Solution
The Children’s Hospital Boston was ranked as a top pediatric hospital by the US News and World Report and was considered as number one in terms of neurosurgery in the country. The hospital has also performed some work that is eligible for world-class research. The average number of patient admissions per year is approximately 22,600 and approximately 963 active medical/dental staff is working in the Hospital.(SNOOK, 2020)
With the help of Case Mix Index (CMI); the complexity of illness is measured with five being the most complex cases. Children’s Hospital Boston had almost 90% cases of 5-scaled patients which means they required immediate attention. In case of any emergency; patients preferred to choose Children’s Hospital Boston over other hospitals
During the neurosurgery procedure of curing the epilepsy problem of a 5-year-old Matty;something went wrong, which had resulted in Matty’s death, but the main reason behind his death was not the surgery but the flaws in the organizational system of Hospital. After the operation;Matty had a prolonged seizure, which caused the death. Confused and irresponsible leadership, difference in the organization-sand unacceptable of each other’s differences along with misaligned organization were the actual reason behind his death. If it is a world-class medical facility; how a case like this can occur?
Issues and Risks in the Organizational System and their Solutions
Matty was in a critical condition and required extensive care, ignoring which the management decided to test their newly developed 7th-floor MSICU in Matty’s case, resulting in several and management errors, making the situation worse for the patient.
- Risk:The first step is to manage the problems carefully, but if the hospital is mismanaging automatically then the errors are inevitable.
- Solution:Keep track of the previous decisions, hire a person to monitor each decision critically before making it the final one and clarify all the strategies beforehand.
After an hour of the surgery, at-around 2:30PM ; Matty’s condition seemed to have deteriorated and there were visible signs of mishaps and hospital’, despite which the hospital was delayed till 7:00 PM
- Risk: Due to late decisions; there was a significant delay in taking action and late actions are of no use because if you are late in assessing the criticality of the situation;there are higher chances that the problems must have accelerated by then.
- Solutions:Make a strict deadline to achieve the task completion, make people realize how critical the situation of the patient is and take decisions accordingly, because sometimes patients need an immediate assistance to cope up with the problem.
Even the nurse was fully aware of the phase 1 seizures, still she decided to leave the patient alone with his parents and casually dealt it by saying if he faces another seizure just give him another dose. The nurse’s oblivion attitude towards catering the patient’s needs and her avoidance of acknowledging the case’s severity because of the seizures after the surgery, place a massive question on the operational efficiencies and the capabilities of not just the management but the entire hospital.
- Risk:If you are working in a nurse care facility; you should be fully aware how important your solo decisions could be and if things go wrong due to your careless behaviour; it will automatically have an impact on the overall performance of the organization
- Solution:Hire the employees who are sensitive enough to take proper care of patients as all that matters is the health of the patient. Having a careless person dealing with the patients, can cause many blunders…………………………
- This is just a sample partial case solution. Please place the order on the website to order your own originally done case solution.